one
Jaxson
It’s hard to tell the
time in here. I have no window, no watch, just this sickly, never-changing dim
light. It could be late afternoon or I could be way off. The only certainty is
that time can be a cruel bitch, fucking vomiting out its claustrophobia and
paranoia like prison bile.
I know what the inside of a cell looks like. It
might be the first time I’ve been arrested but it’s not the first time I’ve
been imprisoned. It’s more than just a saying that the walls close in on you.
The constant pacing of your feet when in isolation creates a desire to call out
for a guard or a loved one or a rat—anything to make contact with something
other than your failing mind.
What makes this time different is Ella. The
sense that there is someone out there waiting, someone wonderful, creates an
ache in my chest like I’ve never known before. I haven’t decided yet if this is
a weakness or a strength.
I’ve been trained to
stay calm but my gut tells me I’m in serious trouble. Real, not-going-away, shit-your-pants
kind of trouble. Someone with the ability to fabricate evidence wants me in
here. I must have made the wrong kind of enemy. It could even be my uncle who’s
behind this. He likes to teach lessons. It’s unlikely that he would go this
far.
The truth, I fear, is
far uglier.
Footsteps approach. A guard
stops in front of my cell. “Cole, your lawyer is here,” he says, unlocking the
door. He steps inside to put handcuffs on my wrists. Again, not my first time
with handcuffs. That road I have traveled for both pleasure and pain before.
The guard leads me to an
interrogation room where Elaine Parker waits for me with a tall man in an
expensive suit who must be my lawyer.
“Hello, Jaxson,” Elaine
says, patting me on the shoulder before the guard unlocks the cuffs, pushing me
down on a chair behind a table. “How are you holding up?”
“I’m fine,” I say, “all
things considered.”
“We’ll clear this up,”
she says as the guard leaves the room.
Elaine eyes me silently
for a second or two in a way that makes my stomach churn. Her expression tells
me I’m in trouble in more ways than one.
I turn to the tall
stranger in a suit who poses as my lawyer. Maybe he is, maybe he’s not. But
he’s definitely a lot more than that.
“Let me have it,” I tell
him, too tired and impatient to ask for his name or pretend I don’t know why
he’s here. They can play their games on their own time. I’ve been locked up for
hours and right now I need answers and I need them fast.
“Okay,” he says, taking
his eyes off me to open his briefcase on the table. He extends his hand to me.
“Eric Borland.”
The name means nothing
to me. I shake his hand silently.
“Here’s the deal,” Borland
says. “The police have evidence that places you at Madison Starr’s apartment on
the night she was murdered.”
“That’s bullshit,” I
say, banging my fist on the hard surface of the table, needing the pain to help
me stay focused.
“No interruptions, Mr.
Cole. You can air your grievances after I’m done.”
There is something in
his eyes that gives me pause. A dark mix of cruelty and joy. Bad combination.
There’s some fucked-up wiring behind those eyes. So I shut up and let him
finish.
“I can get you out on
bail with the assistance of your uncle.”
“And by that you mean
his money or his connections?” Yeah, to hell with Borland’s personal story of
darkness, I’ll interrupt the motherfucker all I want. I can flip the badass
switch too, when needed.
“Both. Consider yourself
lucky.”
“What’s the catch? Dear
Uncle Lucius never does anything out of the goodness of his heart. There’s
always a catch.” Why bother to explain? The dude either knows my uncle or he
doesn’t.
Borland’s eyes glisten like
fog lights on water. “Same old story. Do as I say. Don’t think twice. When
you’re out, you go visit your uncle.”
“Easy as pie,” I say
incredulously.
“With cream and
cherries,” Elaine says trying to convince me.
“Listen, guy,” Borland
says. “Do your part and you’ll be out Monday morning. Don’t complicate your
extraction.”
Ex-military. He might as
well wear his fatigues and boots. He picks up his briefcase. I don’t want to
show Borland my relief, but my lungs feel like they can exhale for the first
time since I was arrested. I’m not sure what I think about Lucius coming through
for me. It’s better than the alternative.
“One last thing,” Borland
says as he walks to the door. “That girl. You are not to see her again. What
was her name? Miss Wade.”
“Ella Wade,” I whisper
under my breath.
My throat runs dry. My vision
warms and blurs. Anger swirls into a hurricane force that wells in my clenching
right fist. I will burn down their fucking world and piss on the ashes. No one
tells me who the fuck I can see or not see. No fucking one. Not Lucius. Not
fucking God himself.
“Ella Wade?” I say
again. “Yeah. Whatever. She served her purpose.”
Elaine puts a hand on my
chest to stop me from going after my own lawyer as he knocks on the door to be
let out.
“Jax,” Elaine says when
we’re alone. “I know you like the girl. Be careful. There are things in motion
that won’t be stopped. Play your part.”
“I’m tired of having my
life planned out by evil bastards.”
“Does that include me?”
I shake my head, not in
the mood for her calculating games. Elaine Parker has been an ally for the most
part but she can also be highly manipulative and ambiguous, saying one thing
and meaning another, which makes her a perfect subordinate for Uncle Lucius.
“This is a mind game
this time, not a game of courage and might,” she says as if reciting a magical
chant. Clandestine sorcery bullshit.
“Lucius can take all his
games and choke on them.”
“Jaxson,” she says,
letting out a long, exaggerated sigh. “It’s me you’re talking to. Let’s be
honest for a moment.”
This life is pure
exhaustion. “Did you have a moment in mind?”
She bends her face at
me, some attempt at motherly concern. “All I am saying is run the probabilities
through your mind before you make choices that could lead to harm.”
“Harm? That threat is
not even veiled, EP,” I tell her.
“Don’t play that
adolescent rebellion bullshit at me,” she says. “I’m here as a friend. There’s
a reason your uncle struggles to trust you. Jax, if not for yourself. Think of
the girl. We need you to stay real regular on this. No hero ball. Understand? Let’s
keep the collateral damage in a ring box this time. We need to play this neat.
All cleaned up and whistling.”
Despite the concern on
her face, there’s not much feeling in her eyes. Not much of anything. Emotion
is a nostalgia she has long abandoned.
“Noted,” I say as cold
as frozen beef.
“Well, then, it’s
simple,” Elaine says, taking my face in her hands. “Let’s get you out of here
for now, Jaxson. Take a breath and then show up at HQ. You need a table talk
with Lucius. He’s been waiting on you for months. Most importantly, you have to
let Miss Wade go. At least until the dust lands.”
Dust is what dead people
are made of. I get it. Stand in line or nap in a hole. I’ve had better options.
I have to give up something to gain something. This is Lucius math. Get it
wrong and pay with your life. My uncle has all the charm of a hand grenade.
“Heard you the first
time,” I say.
“And easy on Mister
Borland,” she says. “He’s the best attorney money can buy. One not slowed down
by legalities. Leave this in our hands. Rest that big brain of yours.”
“Scary as hell, but you
have left me no options,” I say. “Bang your drums and I’ll dance a nice little
jig.” My words come out slowly and deliberately to hide the fact I feel like
killing someone for real.
Elaine is not stupid—she
senses my fevered disdain instantly. “Without laughter, what is a joke?” she
says in a benevolent manner that pisses me off way more than anything else.
“You knew this would happen. You knew you’d have to give her up sooner or
later. You can’t play with civilians.”
She pats my cheek before
the guard arrives to escort her out.
I feel a chill.
Everything she said was true. I knew the end game. I always know. It’s like a
curse. Lucius has his math and I have mine. And they’re related. Pun intended.
I hate math. I love Ella. That’s a problem.
When I’m back behind
bars and they lock the door, I wait for the footsteps to fade into the prison. My
only answer is to pound my head against the cell wall until a little blood
trickles down my nose.

No comments:
Post a Comment